The foundation of the Escuela de Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos took place in 1802, driven by the enlightened ideas of Agustin de Betancourt. During his more than two centuries of history, the school has trained engineers with extensive knowledge in different technical disciplines which today constitute civil engineering, including structures. In 1971 the school was integrated, together with other engineering schools in Madrid, in the current Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Technical University of Madrid). Shortly after, departments were established as a basic organizational structure of the university. The first director of the Department was Florencio del Pozo Frutos, and followed him Borlado Ramiro Rodriguez, Florencio del Pozo Vindel, Edelmiro Rua Alvarez, José María Goicolea Ruigómez, Pablo de la Fuente Martin and Juan Carlos Garcia Orden.
Many distinguished professors have taught in the Department before the departmental division of the School. Among them, Jose Eugenio Ribera, Juan Manuel de Zafra, Eduardo Torroja, Alfredo Paez, Carlos Fernández Casado, Javier Manterola, etc, which once educated the civil engineers demanded by our society, and still guides the Department’s activities today.