The Technical University of Madrid (UPM) was founded in 1971 through the integration of the Higher Technical Schools which up until then made up the Higher Technical Institutes. The University Schools joined the following year. However, the origin of the institution dates back much further. Teaching in the majority of the Centres was established during the reign of Carlos the Third in the eighteenth century. During these years the Schools were practically the only ones in our country linked to the teaching of Architecture and Engineering. For this reason it is no exaggeration to state that a large part of the history of Spanish technology has been written by the Schools of Engineering and Architecture. The Technical University of Madrid holds double recognition as a Campus of International Excellence, a distinction that refers to the quality of its research and teaching activity
The “Escuela de Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos” was created in 1802 by Agustín de Betancourt. During more than two centuries of history, the School has educated engineers in a wide range of areas related to the civil engineering. The structural engineering is part of this knowledge. Since 1971, the School is part of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid.
The Department of Continuum Mechanics and Structures is responsible of the teaching of the courses related with the area of Mechanics and Structures of both the bachelor and master degrees in the Escuela de Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. It also develops basic and applied research in this area. The Department has six teaching units and three research groups, and is equipped with a laboratory of structures.